Friday, July 1, 2011

saying goodbye

This week I'm having to say goodbye to two doctors that I've grown to actually like! {as co-workers!} I work at a teaching hospital and in the medical field Doctors do their residency here and when they complete their residency they usually leave and get an Attending {head hancho} job at another hospital. Residency can be anywhere from three to seven years long, then doctors can do extra specialties {very confusing}. But, the Neurosurgery doctors I work with, their residency is seven years long. And they spend more time at work than at home.

When I first became a nurse, these two guys were on-call a lot at night, so I got to know them, learn from them, and now that they are leaving, I'm actually going to miss them! Some of us at work got together and got "going away" gifts for them.  

Of course...UK theme

like my wrapping? my 1st real job {besides babysitting} was Christmas present wrapping at the mall. 
I'm actually glad I did that! Crisp edges and corners!


The thing on the left is a keychain pen light. This is to check a patients pupils. We gave them one of these because every day on rounds, NONE of the doctors had one. They should! Because this is one of the main components of a neuro exam. So, when they go to their new job, they can check their patient's pupils!

The other thing is a UK scrub cap for their surgeries. You would think living in UK NATION, that it would be easy to find. Well, we were SO WRONG!...Sarah and I went to 7, YES 7 stores before we found it. We searched 3 campus bookstores, 3 scrub stores, and a medical supply store! At the last scrub store we saw one, then I asked the sales girl and begged, BEGGED her for another and I pretty much looked ridiculous. I'm sure she thought I was psychotic. I bought another for the resident leaving next year so I didn't have to go on a hunt next year. Geez...we never dreamed it would've been so hard to find!



Sarah made these yummy treats for the whole team: 

BRAIN CUPCAKES



Sarah made cute "neuro" names to go with their name:

Epidural Eric
Nystagmus Norman
Wernicke Whitlow
Decerebrate Davis
Hydrocephalus Hughes
Astrocytomao Asfahani
Brainstem Brown
Gyri Grupke
Meningitis Mannas
Subarachnoid Stafford
Lambdoidal Laith
Hypertonic Hessel
Broca Brenda
Cranial Christy


this picture was from last year

We are going to miss you two! 
Love, the Neurosurgery girls

1 comment:

  1. Aww that is so sweet!! I am hoping someone will take me under thier wing when I become a nurse. The brain cupcakes are too funny!!

    ReplyDelete