Tuesday, April 12, 2011

my bare wall gets a face lift!

After living my home for a year & a half now, I've FINALLY gotten around to decorating the beyond bare wall behind my couch. The problem with this wall is the electrician put the thermostat in the middle of the wall! It's so hard to hang any picture on this huge wall when there is a thermostat right in the middle of the wall! Clearly, they didn't have a woman tell them this would be a problem! 

But, I found a solution! Last year I would browse {and still do} websites for decorating ideas on my down time at work in the wee hours of the morning, and thought a simple mantle would be a good idea. I don't have a fireplace in my living room {now a requirement in the next house,} so I could use one to set pretty things on and it would hide the thermostat! 

So, finally {after a lot of brainstorming aka: putting it off} I put the plan in motion and a couple months ago and I ordered shelf/ledge {5-foot} on Home Depot's online store. I compared online and it was the cheapest ($49.97, free shipping.) CAN'T BEAT FREE SHIPPING!!! I liked Pottery Barn's {of course} but it was 4-foot for $75+$17 shipping. {I love PB, but I've gotta shop around. You can get the look for less.} I needed a longer shelf because the wall is pretty long! A 4-foot shelf would just look silly! 

Well, I've had the shelf now for probably 2 months. And, I've been a little busy with the trip, working a little OT, and no one to help me hang it. {I need a Mr. around for home projects and repairs!} So, I have to coordinate my schedule with my parents' because they are pros! They have moved several times and hung so many pictures, curtains, TVs, etc. We finally got a free night and they came over and within the hour got it done! 


BEFORE:
SEE THE THERMOSTAT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WALL?!?!
please excuse the poor color of the iphone photos
 DAD HELPING:

AFTER!
HIDDEN THERMOSTAT!

Friday, Katherine and I went to Cincy for a little shopping and I picked up these things for this project specifically! There is a Ballard Design outlet there, so I got these items at discounted prices! The mirrors were originally $79/each. I got 3 for $39!!!  

I'm pretty pleased with my project and so happy almost 2 years later I finally did it! Sheesh...more evidence of my procrastination! I'm also pleased with my bargain shopping! I need to become better at that! 

11 comments:

  1. It looks really good!! and you can add seasonal items (easter, christmas etc) too! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I also adore the look of Pottery Barn but not so much the prices! Same for Ballard Design, one of my favorites- their outlet stores are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was definitely a poorly placed thermostat but you did a great job in hiding it! I love your decorations. Beautiful. I also like the Lex and the City sign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that shelf looks awesome...but what you decided to put on it is even better :) i love the mirrors and the topiaries. wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your decorating style. Please more posts on your home decor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your new decor! It looks great! I'm sold on going to the Ballard outlet now, for sure. I love that little "Lex and the City" sign...where did you get that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooo cute. And also your blog is one of the prettiest I've ever seen :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your blog title! And the decorating looks awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oohh wow - it looks too stunning!!

    tsurfersparadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete